Monday, July 26, 2010

School's Out!!

School is out!



Well my life is alright, the new ward here seems alright, it is a little hard to get together since everyone is all over the place and I don't have a cell phone yet but one day!! It is really hot though most the time. I definitely sweat way more than I have in my life! Right now is kind of weird since my school is out for the week, which means I don't have anything planned, and the teachers that I would hang out with are all out of the country... so I have had some days where I go through days not speaking many words to anyone which is not my favorite. Things will be good, I think that it is a really special thing to be able to teach english to people, it isn't something that will save there life, but I do think it is something that will make it much more enjoyable and give them a special set of tools in the world. I think that having a deep motivation to serve is the best way that I will remain happy here in Korea. There will be times where I feel lonely, bored, and REALLY want to watch American sports, but at the very core doing something that helps someone and making it the primary motive is the best way that I have found to improve as a person. It will definitely be a growing time.



So as I alluded earlier no kids! So I have been trying to stay busy the best I can. So what I do, is think of something I need or a place I want to see, find out a way to get it, and then walk around that part of the city till I get bored, eat, and head home. Not too bad really. Tomorrow I am going to hike the mountain by my house. I have spent a lot of time trying to learn the Korean alphabet and feel like I can read a little bit. The sounds that the language makes stil sounds really foreign but it is getting better each day and that is all I can ask for. So I try to talk to people whenever I can on the subway or bus. I met a couple guys from France this week Benjamin and Guillobe(sp?). They were actually really fun to talk to, I gave them my facebook, and we made tentative plans to go see the DMZ this weekend. Facebook is really funny, it is really a nice thing actually to talk to someone briefly on the subway or bus, and then give them your name on facebook, and maybe meet up. I talk to some Korean girls it is really funny some of the reactions. I have found that they will never initiate a conversation, even if they like spill something on you they probably won't say a word. However, once you ask them something they seem to be pretty open. Some of the girls are really funny and kind of give you a weird look and wave you off, which is no big deal, but a lot of them will just talk your ear off which is definitely fun. I want to check out some of the dancing clubs here. LOL The french guys had some funny things to say about it, saying in broken english that it was impossible to make out with a Korean girl! They also said the sounds systems were really good but you are like packed in there and can't really move or talk. It sounds lame now that I type it out but I do want to experience a little bit of everything.



This last week I began teaching alone. It was mixed, some kids were really fun to teach and others weren't having it. As part of my teaching, each day I have an activity class for pre-school and kindergarden age kids. They are all a madhouse! The kids just go bonkers, alternating from being out of their seats, crying, and not doing what they are suppose to do... I started to keep a tally of kids that cry and put it on my desk, so far we are up to four kids, all in the activity class that have made it. Updates to follow heh. The rest of the kids had a test this week, so easy teaching, one class of review, one class of taking the test. LOL I found out there are websites that make you wordsearches and all you have to do is write in your list of words. So... the kids got wordsearches after their tests and they actually really like them. The teachers at our school try to give little prizes if the whole class does well on a spelling test or unit test etc. The prizes range from food to watching a you tube video to stickers and things like that. So a couple of my classes got a hundred this week, so I showed them a Kobe Bryant video. Oh man, I thought it was cool and so did the other boys in the class but I think that the girls were pretty bored :). I made them repeat that Kobe Bryant was the best basketball player and so just spreading the Lakers wherever I go! Another class got all perfect scores and so I gave them a penny each. It might sound like a lame prize, but the kids thought it was really cool! They asked how valuable it was and what it could buy and I told them nothing, and they didn't really believe me lol. Oh well they will find out soon enough.



Well I guess it is food time!!! I had a couple of new things, but I think I will choose Milkis. I am a little tired so I am going to turn it over to wikipedia on this one...

Milkis (Hangul:밀키스) is a soft drink produced by Lotte Chilsung, a Korean beverage company. It combines many of the common elements of traditional carbonated beverages such as corn syrup, sugar, and carbonated water with milk to create a creamy taste; its label proclaims "New feeling of soda beverage". Milkis is available in orange, strawberry, mango, melon and classic (regular) flavors. It is a popular beverage in South Korea, and it remains widely available worldwide.



I had a friend tell me it is like when they do the sprite with sherbet thing at church all the time but like in a soda and that was pretty apt for me. I think I would give it a 7 out of ten. Maybe something i could miss, not something I couldn't live without. I tried to post a picture at the bottom hopefully it worked, but I am super tired so good night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment