Friday, July 9, 2010

1st Day in Korea

Hey everyone!

I wanted to set up my blog real quick so I can get in the habit so here we go! So I found a ride last minute that was ok with driving me from Arroyo Grande to LA at midnight Wednesday night lol. I was reallly grateful for the ride and wasn't sure what I would do if he was unavailable. We listened to my favorite late night radio show Coast to Coast with George Norrey (sp?). The show is about conspiracy/alien things and is without fail hilarious. They let people call in at two in the morning so I shouldn't have to tell you most of their calls/ideas are way off the wall and entertaining late at night. I got to the airport around three for my flight that left at 6:45. I went and got my things in line and was second in line, Sweet! But, that would stay that while for a long time since the terminal didn't begin to operate until four in the morning! BOO! I tried lying down and taking a nap... but I am fairly confident that it was not successful at all! Oh well. So finally got through at four, got rid of some bags, went to last inspection area so I could get to my gate. Well at LAX of all places the inspection places where they put you through the metal detector etc. was not open till Five!!! Yikes! So I tried to sleep in an even more uncomfortable spot which failed as well lol. So finally got to get through and was still there an hour for my flight to San Francisco before Korea. I laid down my things and was ready to sleep when some guy starts talking my ear off!!! LOL I was just not meant to sleep yet. He was really interested in talking about the dodgers lakers and other sports, and he was from Boston so I got to rub in the Laker's championship! So I eventually get on the plan and pass out for an hour.

Now we are in San Francisco! My last adventure in the U.S.! I sent out some last minute goodbyes and am really grateful for all my great friends! I will miss you guys a lot! Once on the plane I wanted to stay up and watch the first movie Date Night, with Steve Carell. I thought it was ok I think I just think that Steve Carell is super funny, after awhile I didn't care about the plot but still had fun with it. After the movie I took a nap which would be a recurring theme. The only highlights were me repeatedly waking up nearly/profusely drooling all over the two korean ladies on either side of me... that ones on me Korean ladies! Sorry bout that... I did have a really scary few seconds where I couldn't find my wallet. FOund it though and international crisis averted! The rest of the movies were either sucky or I was tired, the Last Song (Miley Cyrus No thanks), How to Train a Dragon which I would have loved, but I slept, and Ghost Writer which looked really boring. The plane ride took forever, I arrived in Korea on Friday at 3 p.m. Korea time. I left around midnight on Wednesday so needless to say I was exhausted and had only had naps. Once I got to Seoul some guy from the school got me a bus pass and sent me off on some bus. I was supposed to call the school director using this driver's phone. I don't know if it is standard in Korea, but this guy had three cell phones!? One pink, one purple, and one metallic grey. We tried calling the director on all three pretty much at the same time which seemed counterproductive, but who am I to judge. Oh btw, this guy told me his name was Mr. Jong and I had a really hard time understanding anything he said. Finally we found the bus and I was off with vague directions about which stop to get off at. Korean busses are sweet! They have LCD tvs with the news and what not, and thats how I learned Lebron James is going to Miami. LOL what a heartless punk! He ripped the heart out of Cleveland and I have an even smaller level of respect for him. Anywho we get to the stop and I tell the driver to help with my bags. Well he gets one of my two bags out and then goes to get back on the bus! I was like no two bags! Two bags!!! But he kept going! So I banged on the bus and he finally came back and got my other bag out, and then tried to but my first bag back on the bus! It was apparently difficult for him to comprehend that I had multiple bags yikes.... So I was met by another director from the school who took me to the school and got me some dinner which was called (Ja- Ja seum)? I have no clue how to spell it. But it was sweet and only like five bucks. Food is super super cheap, I saw a similar to sushi looking place for a thousand won (about a dollar) you had a huge roll of the stuff! After dinner I met a few of the people that are teachers here. They all seem really nice and not mormon lol. They invited me to go out but I was so exhausted I just went to bed. I'll pick it up from here later!!! See ya!

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading and I'm glad you're already having an awesome adventure! And those Korean ladies are lucky they got your drool. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back to the blogosphere after a ridiculously long hiatus! An nyoung!!!

    I liked reading about how you drool on korean ladies. It reminded me of the time I drooled on a nice man from Michigan while I was riding a train from Georgia to DC. That one was on me for sure.

    I'm excited to read about your adventures. Also was not excited that you did not call me before you left as promised. Scathing haiku to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam, thanks for the info! Keep up the good work, I finished the first day of my program today and it was great we have 20 high school juniors who gave injections to eggplants and oranges and will talk to you later got to go! Bye

    ReplyDelete